7.06.2013

Paint Splat Mani

It's time to get messy!  
Such a cool mani; I've had lots of complements and queries on how I did them.
A lot of people asked if they were minx, I was horrified! They look nothing like minx, each nail is inconsistent.
I had lots of fun doing this mani and I know its been done plenty of times before by other bloggers but I wanted to try it out myself and my god its a tricky one!
I was contemplating doing it with acrylic paints or nail polish and decided on the latter but I think my way of doing this was a little unusual from the way I've seen it being done, when I did my geometric mani I realised the tape peeled off the scotch tape, so I tried polish on a plastic wallet and it peeled straight off! so here's what you'll need & how I did it:
You will need :
What you need to do:
  1. Take your plastic bag / sandwich bag and put a finger on the bag, draw around your finger tip and drag the pen down on both sides until you go a bit past your cuticle, remove your finger and join the sides, do this with all your fingers and thumb of course, so they line up in a near enough straight line
  2. Next flip over the plastic wallet and you will be able to see your doodling. Now using your white polish, cover the circles you have drawn entirely and some. you will need a little extra later on for when you peel it off the plastic (don't worry if its not entirely opaque)
  3. Its time for the fun part, grab any of your chosen polishes and using the polish brush cover the end of the straw in polish and try to get about 0.5cm in the straw, you can even push the brush down the straw. Aim the straw at the white on the plastic and blow through the clean end and BAM! splatted paint look. Keep doing this until your happy with the design.
  4. Wait around 10minutes for the colours to dry then apply your top coat then wait another 10-15minutes to dry
  5. Test the polish and if its still wet, wait some more
  6. Your next job is to cut the plastic wallet into strips. turn the wallet over and your circles will still be there, just cut in between them so you have 5/10 rectangles. (Do not cut around the circles because you might cut them to small...that would be a disaster after all that fun you just had making them)
  7. After you've done this you can peel the polish off the plastic wallet, its a little frustrating but persevere as its worth it at the end
  8. Next you need to polish your nails with white polish and stick your ready cut out polish to the semi-wet white on your nails so it adheres - when you apply the cut out polish to your nail try and get as close to your cuticle as you can; you can tidy up later.
  9. So after you have them all applied trim the extra bits off your nail with scissors, then using a nail file straighten up your nails to remove the rest of the hanging polish.
  10. Last of all is tidying up :) dip your brush in acetone/nail polish remover and tidy up any edges that are on your skin around your nails - you can apply top coat if you want put I didn't feel the need to as I'd already done it on the plastic.
  11. Ta-daa! Messy Paint Splat Nails!

Here's my version of the paint splat manicure.
 
 The one other way I have seen it being done is when the paint is blown through a straw onto your nails, now I think that's much to messy and I'd rather go through all the hassle I did to have my nails like this. It is time consuming and you will need patience but at least you don't have to clean up all that polish on your hands and fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment